Sunday 19 September 2010

OXFORD UNITED 0, STOCKPORT COUNTY 1

Well, it was great to be back, just a shame about the result. I'd missed the atmosphere, the beer in the bar, the never-changing music before the match begins (can no one find another tape in the back of a cupboard?) and the draughty, cold sensation of the stands as the wind whips in from the Oxy bowling alley.

One change was the style and pace of the play, as the Yellows put together more passes and went forward far more than they did last year. Initial impressions were extremely good.

What was lacking once more was the atmosphere in the Family Stand, which still feels like watching in a pub. I watched enviously as the Stockport fans made noise throughout the game but hey, I'm as guilty as my neighbours for not making a fool of myself.

I missed Lady O's endless lowing ("Monoxford?") throughout the game, every game, regardless of what is happening) and the constant attacks on the referee of the old git in front of where we used to sit but there were enough people to tell the poor, benighted man in black what an idiot he was, how he didn't know what he was doing and, of course, that the disallowed goal was never offside despite us all being perpendicular to the defensive line at the other end of the pitch. Of course we all knew better!

Stockport showed how to play away, getting a lead and defending like devils but Oxford showed much promise and a wealth of attacking play. We should have been two up in the first half but sadly it wasn't to be. The Yellows also deserve credit for pressing right up to the final whistle.

I miss this! I hope to return several times this season and I must save my pennies for a season ticket for next year, because League One is going to be even more exciting...

No comments:

Post a Comment