Saturday 22 August 2009

DAY FIVE: OXFORD 2, STEVENAGE BOROUGH 1

Another cracking match and another 3 points for Oxford. I always warn my son before the matches we have been to that teams don't always win but I am beginning to sound like a bit of a broken record.

I took two more children today and this was their first time at a football match. The older one enjoyed it immensely but the younger one didn't really get as much from it. Her mum had been taken ill, which is why she as with me, so she might be forgiven for that. However, both professed to have had fun and I hope they will go away as committed Yellows fans. The celebratory milkshake afterwards certainly helped their mood.

I have discovered that I am doomed to sit next to Chewing Man for the rest of the season. This man clearly takes his football so seriously that he seeks to emulate the admirable but annoying Alex Ferguson in furiously chewing throughout the match.

I also have Lady Orgasm behind me, a woman of a certain age who is clearly well brought up but who spends the entire game screaming lurid insults at the opposition players and insisting that any tackle by the opposing team or foul awarded by the ref should result in a red card for the unfortunate opposition player. In doing this she rises to levels surely only matched in the bedroom. Her husband is indeed a lucky man but I do wish he would shut her up somehow. Quite how, the mind boggles over...

Anyway, these minor irritations aside, the game was another cracker, made all the more enjoyable by the rage the Stevenage manager got into throughout the second half as he jumped around in his 'technical area' hurling abuse at all and sundry. He didn't really think this act through as he was backed by a few thousand Yellows fans who encouraged him all the way and relished his every tantrum. We may not see his like again.

We unfortunately will have to miss the next home game as we will be away but I shall do my best to follow it on the internet. Our tickets have been entrusted to friends and I hope they have as much luck as we have. Come on you Yellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment